Sunday, March 15, 2009

Interview with Otto Orf



Overall Question: Why is Soccer, and more specifically Goalkeeping, an iconic obsession of yours?
Interview to Otto Orf:
-Cleveland Crunch/Force Player
-Runs own business HandsOnSoccer
-21-year pro indoor and outdoor goalkeeper
-led Crunch to three national MISL Championships in the 90s
-U.S. National Futsal team
-World Indoor Championships in Zurich, Switzerland-1995
-FUTSAL World Cup in Segovia Spain 1996\
-CONCACAF Futsal Tournament Guatemala 1996
Interviewer Alex Ivanov:

Why was (is) goalkeeping and soccer your passion?
Soccer was never an interest of mine as a kid. I always wanted to play football but was too small. After trying out for football my freshman year in HS and not playing at all I decided as a sophomore I would try soccer. I had never kicked a ball before so I played keeper.

What do you like the best about the position (GK)?
No matter what happens you can always save the day. A keeper has a ton of responsibility and all of his mistakes are extremely magnified but when the keeper play well or comes up big the team wins.

What is your fondest memory as a GK?
I have two. 1. Playing in double overtime of the 1994 championship game with a blown hamstring and making a few saves then a diving header to start the game winning goal (youtube under; handsonsoccer (crunch wins). 2. Is winning the CONCACAF Futsal Tournament in Guatemala 1996 and winning the goalkeeper of the tournament in my first international tour.

Do you think goalkeeping could be an iconic obsession to American culture?
Americans are great athletes and US goalkeepers have had more success around the world than any other position. I think the ‘lone ranger’ or ‘hero’ persona that emanates from the keeper position could lend itself to an obsession in our culture.

What drove you to develop Hands On Soccer?
Actually I used to travel to play outdoor every spring/summer and then return to play indoor. When I met my wife leaving for 6 months was no longer and option. I was good with kids and wanted to teach others what I had learned about the game so in 1991 I started “HandsOnSoccer’ Goalkeeping camps. It has evolved into what exists today.

What drove you to create your own brand of gloves?
My sponsorship deal for gloves went sour so I invested a few thousand dollars in some prototype gloves. After having some quality models created and getting some professional feedback from friends who wear them I decided it would be a nice way to help provide quality equipment at a fair price. My first gloves were gardening gloves with little rubber dots on them.

When did you start playing and when did you begin to feel a passion for the game as a goalkeeper?
Age 15 in 10th grade was my first time playing. 5 years later I was playing pro but in 1985 in Massachusetts while playing for Fall River Sporting I realized what passion for the game really was. The community was 85% Portuguese, the shops, restaurants, stores and all the people and my teammates spoke Portuguese. The families, fans, everyone in town would come out to see us play every Sunday. They would listen to and watch games from Europe all weekend. The game was life, and if I played well I was treated like a king. At 21 years old I was playing against Benfica, Sporting, Madiera and as a league all star against Porto. This was when I fell in love with the game.



Thank you very much Otto Orf!

No problem brother! If you like the gloves help me spread the word.
All the best to you.
If you want to work camps with me let me know and we can meet.
Peace!
Oh yeah, tell Tobey I say hey. We are having a futsal tournament on April 11th and we are working on it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment